Published on March 24, 2014 by Hazen Plastic
What does G.R.A.S.S. stand for?
- G – Growth factors. Growth factors are naturally occurring proteins in your skin that you lose with age. They are critical in skin repair and remodeling. Do you notice with age you don’t heal as well as you once did? Growth factors are essential for anti-aging to prevent collagen break-down and signs of aging. As we age, our bodies become less efficient in repairing skin damage. If we aren’t replenishing what we lose our skin will break down and lines and wrinkles will appear. Dr. Hazen recommends SkinMedica’s TNS Essential Serum that has over 110 different growth factors and 93.6% concentration growth factor solution (TNS, Tissue Nutrient Solution).
- R – Retinoids. Retinoids are essential in skin rejuvenation. With age, our cellular turnover process slows down. We begin holding on to dead skin cells because of this. Our complexion will start to look dull without retinoids. Retinoids will give that luminous look of young age back to your skin. Using SkinMedica’s Retinol 0.25, Retinol 0.5 or Retinol 1.0 every other night (we can recommend the best one for your skin needs) will keep your skin healthy looking.
- A – Antioxidants. Antioxidants are important in maintaining healthy skin. They protect your skin from UVA rays that can penetrate through glass, environmental aggressors such as pollution, and they prevent and repair damage to your body’s tissue. Antioxidants do this by slowing or preventing the effect of free radicals, which start oxidation, a process that causes damage from oxygen free radicals that can lead to cell dysfunction. If you’ve seen a peeled apple turn brown, you’ve seen oxidation in action. SkinMedica’s TNS Essential Serum also contains 7 different antioxidants both lipid (to penetrate the skin’s barrier) and water-soluble antioxidants to protect your skin from many different aggressors.
- S – Specialty Ingredients. Specialty ingredients are necessary in treating skin conditions that occur with age or hormonal factors like sun-damaged skin, brown spots or melasma. The Lytera Skin Brightening Complex is a perfect skincare product that treats and prevents skin discolorations.
- S – Sunscreen. Sunscreen containing zinc oxide is the only ingredient that blocks UVA rays, the sun’s more damaging rays responsible for skin cancer and aging. UVA rays make up over 95% of the sun’s rays. UVA is the key cause of aging so protecting your skin with a medical grade sunscreen with zinc oxide will greatly reduce the aging process. It’s never too late! If you already have damage from the sun, your skin can heal by starting to protect it now. SkinMedica sunscreens contain zinc oxide and are oil-free and ultra-sheer on the skin. They also feel great on the skin, as opposed to thicker over-the-counter sunscreens.
Here, at Hazen Plastic Surgery P.A., we take skincare very seriously. We also recommend maintaining frequent treatments with exfoliating products and procedures to clear the dead skin and stimulate collagen so it can absorb the nutrients provided by your skincare products. Your new healthy cells can better absorb the G.R.A.S.S ingredients while keeping your skin healthy!