Table of Contents
Breast Reduction - Before & After
Breast Reduction in Princeton, New Jersey
Breast reduction procedures work by reducing the overall volume of the breasts for more physically comfortable and aesthetically desirable breasts. In addition to reducing the size, breast reduction procedures also tighten and lift the breasts to ensure that women look naturally proportional following the treatment.
Breast Reduction Surgical Details
A breast reduction is performed under general anesthesia. Dr. Hazen will create a small incision, often around the nipple, and will surgically remove excess tissue and skin for a tighter, smaller appearance and feel.
After re-positioning the placement of the nipple and ensuring a proportionate appearance, Dr. Hazen will close the incisions with sutures. Patients can enjoy a more comfortable lifestyle without the pain and self-consciousness that can often be caused by having overly large, uncomfortable breasts.
Candidates for Breast Reduction
If you’re interested in breast reduction in New Jersey and the surrounding areas, you may be a perfect candidate. Individuals who make the best candidates for this procedure are those who:
- Suffer neck, back, and/or shoulder pain due to having large breasts
- Have breasts that are hindering their ability to properly play sports or exercise
- Are embarrassed by the appearance of their breasts
- Have a hard time finding clothing to wear because of their breast size
Recovery and Results
Most patients are able to return to work and resume their normal activities within about seven days after the procedure. After the procedure, your breasts will be wrapped in bandages. You will wear a surgical bra for about two weeks, after which time you may switch to a soft sports bra. You may also require drains after your surgery. If these will be needed, Dr. Hazen will discuss this with you during your consultation. She will also go over your home-care instructions, which will include guidelines on how to properly sleep and what your physical limitations should be. Dr. Hazen will advise you about the appropriate time line for resuming activities. Results will begin to appear a few weeks following surgery, with final results becoming apparent after a few months.
Breast Reduction Recovery Tips
Recovery from breast reduction surgery can be a significant process, and it's important to follow your surgeon's instructions closely for the best results. Here are some general recovery tips to help you through the healing process:
1. Follow Post-Op Instructions: Your surgeon will provide specific instructions for your recovery. These may include guidelines for wound care, medication management, and activity restrictions. Adhere to these instructions diligently.
2. Manage Pain: Expect some discomfort after surgery. Your surgeon will prescribe pain medication to help manage this. Take your medications as directed, and don't wait until the pain becomes severe before taking them.
3. Compression Garments and Dressings: You may need to wear a surgical bra or compression garment to reduce swelling and provide support. Follow your surgeon's recommendations regarding garment usage. Also, keep the incision areas clean and dry as per their instructions.
4. Rest and Limit Physical Activity: Getting plenty of rest in the first few days after surgery is essential. Avoid strenuous activities, heavy lifting, and exercise during the initial recovery period. Gradually reintroduce light activities as you start feeling better, but always consult your surgeon first.
5. Stay Hydrated and Eat Nutritious Meals: Proper hydration and a balanced diet can aid in the healing process. Make sure you're eating nutrient-rich foods to support your body's recovery.
6. Quit Smoking and Limit Alcohol: Smoking can impair healing and increase the risk of complications. If you smoke, try to quit or at least avoid smoking during your recovery. Limit alcohol consumption, as it can interfere with healing and medication effectiveness.
7. Scar Care: Follow your surgeon's advice on scar care. They may recommend the use of silicone gels or sheets to help minimize scarring. Protect your scars from direct sunlight to avoid pigmentation changes.
8. Gentle Movements: Incorporate gentle movements and walking into your routine to prevent stiffness and promote blood circulation. Avoid any vigorous exercise until your surgeon clears you for it.
9. Emotional Support: Recovery from breast reduction surgery can be emotionally challenging. Lean on your friends and family support system for emotional support and encouragement.
10. Follow-up Appointments: Attend all scheduled follow-up appointments with your surgeon. They will monitor your progress, remove any sutures or drains, and address any concerns or questions you may have.
11. Patience: Remember that complete healing and final results may take several weeks or even months. Be patient with yourself and trust the process.
12. Bra Fitting: As your breasts settle into their new shape, you may need to get fitted for new bras. Wait until your surgeon gives you the green light to do so, as it can take a few months for the swelling to subside completely.
Always communicate openly with your surgeon and their medical team throughout your recovery. They can provide personalized guidance and ensure that your healing progresses as expected.
"I simply cannot say enough about the outstanding care that I received from Dr. Hazen and her team before, during and now 6 months after my breast reduction/lift procedure. This procedure was not entered into without a great amount of consideration by both myself and my husband but we both agree that the investment was well worth every penny spent."
How long will my breast reduction results last?
Results are permanent, barring significant weight gain or pregnancy.
Will I still be able to breastfeed after my breast reduction?
Women may be able to breastfeed after a breast reduction. Discuss this with Dr. Hazen ahead of time so that he can plan your surgical procedure with this in mind.
What is the best age for a breast reduction?
While there is no “right age” for a breast reduction, many patients choose to have their procedure once they are done having children.
How long should I wait after childbirth to get a breast reduction?
Patients should wait until their breast size has stabilized after childbirth and breastfeeding. Once the breasts have been at a stable size for at least six months, a breast reduction surgery may be performed.
Meet Your Surgeon at Hazen Plastic Surgery
Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Jill Hazen loves performing breast procedures because she loves seeing how happy her patients are with the results. Breast surgery is one of our top services at Hazen Plastic Surgery, and you can be absolutely certain that with us, you’re in excellent hands. Voted as one of the Top Doctors in New Jersey by Healthy Living, Dr. Hazen has a reputation for delivering beautiful, natural-looking results. She will be happy to determine the right recommendations for you and personalize a treatment plan just for you. You will feel very welcomed by her family-like staff, and we will be there for you every step of the way. There are some results that only surgery can achieve, and if you are considering a breast reduction in New Jersey and the surrounding areas, we invite you to contact us today for a consultation.